I used to have a very bad relationship with fruits and vegetables. Basically, I hated them. Step one was finding food I would actually eat; which is pretty difficult when you have the palate of a 5 year old. I have pretty much conquered that issue. I found a few vegetables that I was able to actually enjoy and started using them in everything!
Anyways, here are a few recipes that really helped me get on track because I actually looked forward to making and eating these dishes!
My FAVORITE dinner to make that is totally healthy and delicious:
-half cup brown rice (uncooked)
-2 eggs (I use one)
-2 teaspoons toasted sesame seeds
-1 tablespoon soy sauce
-1 tablespoon rice vinegar
-2 teaspoons sesame oil
– 1 and a half teaspoons of honey
– a pinch of cayenne pepper
-1 cup edemame
Makes: 4 servings
- Preheat the broiler. In a medium ovenproof pan, toss the shrimp with 1 teaspoon each of the sesame oil and the honey. Add the cayenne.
- Lay the shrimp flat. Broil for 2 minutes per side. Transfer to a plate.
- Heat a small nonstick skillet over medium heat and add the remaining teaspoon of sesame oil. Pour in the eggs. Cook undisturbed until set, about 2 minutes. Flip and cook until just set on the second side, 1 more minute. Transfer to a board and cut into strips. (I just scramble the egg and mix it all in)
- In a small bowl, combine the soy sauce and rice wine vinegar with the remaining 1/2 teaspoon honey.
- Fold the edamame and sesame seeds into the rice. Serve the rice in bowls topped with the egg strips, shrimp and avocado. Place the soy-vinegar mixture in a small bowl and use at the table for drizzling.
Another favorite dinner is Cauliflower Pizza:
Before you say “ew”, I dislike cauliflower, but you can’t taste it on this pizza.
Crust and sauce:
1/4 cup egg whites
2 wedges laughing cow cheese
a sprinkle Parmesan cheese
a sprinkle of mozzarella cheese
1 cup Cauliflower(grated)
Splash of almond milk
Chicken (or another meat)
You can change the toppings to any other healthy alternatives 🙂
Preheat oven to 350, grate up one cup of cauliflower, mix grated cauliflower with egg whites and add a sprinkle of shredded cheese.
Place mixture in circle on parchment paper on baking sheet.
Bake for 20 minutes and then flip and bake another 10.
Add toppings and bake for 10 more minutes.
Sprinkle lightly with cheese on top
Broil just to melt cheese.
-two wedges of laughing cow cheese
-a sprinkle of parmesan
-a quarter cup of almond milk
-sprinkle of shredded cheese
Mix all together in sauce pan until its a creamy mixture
Guilty Pleasure Dessert/Snack
1 cup oatmeal
1/2 cup peanut butter (however, I use PB2 secondary to having way less calories)
1/2 chocolate chips (I use minis, I found they distribute better)
1/2 ground flack seed (you can also use wheat germ, I have done it both ways)
1/4 cup honey (I heat this up before adding it so that the chocolate chips melt, you don’t have to though)
Mix all the ingredients together, roll into small balls and put in the fridge until firm. I made pretty small balls, so you should get 20-24 balls out of this recipe.
This is great, healthy alternative to candy bars, but still gives curves chocolate/sweet urge.
That should get you started 🙂
If there is a particular food you want highlighted in your recipes, let me know…I’ve probably tried something!